Homeowners Can Make Their Homes Eco-Friendly with These Three Tips
Going eco-friendly is more than going to the store and buying new appliances; it’s about carefully considering options and making an informed decision. Homeowners can upgrade to WaterSense appliances, referring to devices that conserve water beyond normal standards. Many states (including Florida) give rebates and tax credits for installing WaterSense appliances.
Other eco-friendly appliance upgrades can come from EnergyStar. EnergyStar appliances are energy-efficient, and like WaterSense appliances, rebates and tax credits are offered for installing appliances from EnergyStar. Interested parties looking to “go green” this April can continue reading to learn more.
Homeowners Can Switch to These Water-Savvy Appliances
There are many water-saving appliances on today’s market, including:
- Touchless faucets: To use touchless faucets, homeowners don't need to touch or tap them because of sensors. This is energy-efficient because it gives the user more control over the water’s flow and temperature. It also limits accidentally leaving the faucet on or dripping since many come with timers.
- Water-saving toilets: Per the EPA, the average toilet uses about 1.6 gallons per flush. WaterSense toilets only use 1.28 gallons per flush. Over time, this could save hundreds of gallons of water (not to mention hundreds of dollars).
- Energy-efficient water heaters: Many standard water heaters rely on tanks where they store and heat water. Tankless water heaters don’t do that. Instead, they heat water as it makes its way to the faucet. This saves water and energy. Plus, the hot water lasts longer.
These Appliances Save Energy
EnergyStar is another brand that produces energy-efficient appliances. Some of these appliances include:
- Washing machines: EnergyStar has a long list of washing machines that save water and electricity. Like WaterSense products, many states offer rebates and tax incentives on EnergyStar brand products.
- Freezers: Operating an EnergyStar brand freezer only costs $30 a year. These devices make use of streamlining compressors, evaporators, and insulators.
- Solar water heaters: Homeowners can switch to solar water heaters, which harness the sun’s energy into electricity. This is an ideal form of renewable energy for those living in Florida.
There Are Also Energy-Efficient Pipes
Saving water and energy doesn’t just stop at buying new appliances; homeowners can also consider energy-efficient pipes. But what does this entail? It requires consulting with a professional about pipe:
- Material: Some metals retain heat better than others, reducing how much water cools down from the water heater to the faucet.
- Insulation: Homeowners want to do everything possible to keep their water hot for as long as possible. By insulating pipes in foam, plastic, or cloth, one can achieve this goal.
- Thickness: A pipe’s thickness can also save energy and reduce the number of leaks.
These are just a few water and energy saving tips homeowners should consider when going green this Earth Day.
About Roman Plumbing Inc.
Roman Plumbing Inc. is a family-owned and operated company serving New Port Richey, FL, and the surrounding areas since 2002. They provide upfront pricing, easy scheduling, and prompt service with fast turnarounds. Call them today for plumbing services in New Port Richey, FL.